Delight your health-conscious valentine this year with these healthy strawberry vegan spelt muffins! This recipe is full of healthy fats, energizing complex carbs, protein, vitamins and minerals. It’s also 100% free from wheat, dairy and refined sugar (yet still 100% delicious), making it the ideal muffin recipe that’s sure to please even the pickiest of valentines. But before we get into the recipe, let’s highlight the health benefits first.
Vegan Strawberry Spelt Muffin Health Benefits
- The main sweetener used in this recipe is coconut sugar, which is high in electrolytes such as potassium. Coconut sugar is a plant-based sweetener that doesn’t aggressively spike and crash blood sugar levels the way white sugar does, which is a mechanism that is also known to contribute to weight gain.
- Instead of canola oil or soybean oil, which are commonly used in store bought baking, extra virgin olive oil is the healthy fat in this recipe. EVOO is known for rebalancing hormones, promoting a healthy cardiovascular system and clearing up the skin.
- Spelt flour is a complex carbohydrate that contains several B vitamins and fiber. B vitamins help support the nervous system and manage stress, while fiber cleanses and removes impurities from the digestive tract.
- Berries help sweeten the muffins, but contrary to popular belief, are actually one of the fruits lowest in sugar. Full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, berries enhance the nutritional content of this recipe while making them taste amazing.
Now for the recipe:
Vegan Strawberry Spelt Muffins (Makes 10 Muffins)
- 2 ½ cups spelt flour
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 4 tbsp orange juice (not from concentrate)
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1.5 tsp aluminum free baking soda
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (to grease muffin tin with)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Mix dry ingredients separately in one bowl and wet ingredients separately in another bowl.
- Once thoroughly mixed, combine wet and dry ingredients together. Place by spoonfuls into muffin tin.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until fork or toothpick comes clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy! These muffins can be stored in a glass container in the fridge for up to 7 days, or kept in the freezer to enjoy for longer.