8 Cleansing Breakfast Ideas for Busy Schedules
So often, breakfast ceases to be a priority for those with busy schedules. Understandably, commuting to work, getting to meetings on time, shuffling between appointments and finding enough time to exercise may not inspire you to rush home after work to meal prep.
But those with the busiest schedules are the ones who need energy from a highly nutritious breakfast the most! Having a breakfast that contains protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs each morning is essential to avoid dreadful mid-afternoon energy crashes and cravings for sugary foods later in the day.
Eating a nutrient-rich breakfast can also help prevent overeating and therefore promote healthy weight loss. Now that spring, the signature season for cleansing has arrived, it’s also a good idea to include foods that help support the body’s natural detoxification process.
Here are 8 cleansing breakfast ideas for even the busiest of schedules.
1. Overnight Oats Oats are an ideal breakfast ingredient as they contain fiber and complex carbohydrates for slow releasing energy and a satiated appetite. You can make overnight oats by placing ½ cup of dry oats in a glass jar and covering them with nut milk. Refrigerate overnight and top with your favourite fruit, nuts, and seeds in the morning. If you have no time to eat at home in the morning, overnight oats are the perfect grab ‘n’ go breakfast- just don’t forget to bring a spoon.
2. Berry Almond Milk Smoothie Berries are high in fiber and antioxidants, two nutrients that are needed to help cleanse the body from toxins that get stored in the digestive system. Smoothies are easy to digest and can be taken with you to work in a to-go cup, or sipped on during your morning commute. Blending frozen berries with almond milk and adding a protein source such as flax or chia seeds will help keep you fuller for longer.
3. Breakfast Smoothie Bowl If you have time to eat breakfast at home, you may want to switch up regular smoothies with smoothie bowls instead. Simply blend your smoothie ingredients and pour into a bowl, and top with organic whole grain granola and fresh fruit of your choice.
4. Chia Seed Pudding
Chia seed pudding is another high fiber breakfast recipe that can be made the night before you go to bed, in just one minute. To make chia seed pudding, place 1/4 cup of chia seeds in a glass mason jar and cover with almond milk. Add vanilla extract, coconut sugar or fruit for extra flavour. Let the chia seeds soak in the fridge overnight, or until they form a jelly-like texture. Additional toppings in the morning are optional.
5. Organic Scrambled Eggs in Coconut Oil
Organic scrambled eggs can be considered a cleansing food because they contain sulfur, a compound that helps the liver detoxify. Coconut oil is a healthy fat that acts as a natural antibacterial to ward off unfriendly organisms in the digestive tract.
6. Avocado Toast on Gluten-Free Toast
Avocado contains a nutrient called glutathione, which helps the liver detoxify from environmental toxins and chemicals. A cleansing breakfast doesn’t get any easier than spreading half of an avocado on a slice or two of gluten-free toast. Add dijon mustard, himalayan sea salt, pepper, chili flakes and some leafy greens for extra flavour.
7. Quinoa Porridge
Quinoa is a protein-rich, gluten-free ingredient that contains all 8 essential amino acids. Quinoa is also high in fiber, which helps the body eliminate toxins by improving digestion. The fiber in quinoa also acts as a prebiotic to feed the good bacteria in your digestive system that help keep your internal environment clean. We recommend choosing sprouted quinoa if possible, as the nutrients are more concentrated and easier to digest once a food has been sprouted.
8. Banana Sushi
Banana sushi sounds fancy, but it’s a breakfast idea that only requires three ingredients and can be made in under 60 seconds. To make banana sushi, spread a nut butter of your choice on top of the sushi and sprinkle with hemp hearts. Slice the banana into circular chunks, and there you have banana sushi- chopsticks optional. Bananas and hemp hearts are high in fiber to help promote regular digestion and elimination of toxins.
Cleansing breakfast ideas don’t have to be time consuming or complicated. In fact, it can be much quicker to make your breakfast by sparing a few minutes of your time in the evening, rather than standing in line at a coffee shop or bakery during rush hour in the morning. (A win for your health, your wallet, and your schedule!)