It’s National Almond Day on February 16, and what better way to celebrate than by blending a handful of almonds into a creamy, smooth digestive tonic?
If you’re not familiar with the health benefits of almonds, here are a few of their nutrients worth highlighting that make them an excellent food for digestion:
Monounsaturated Fatty Acids If you’ve heard the ever-so-popular myth that fat makes you fat, you may have avoided almonds like the plague. But that outdated rumor has since been proven false, and we now know that healthy fats, such as the ones found in almonds, can actually boost metabolism and increase fat burning mode. The type of fats in almonds, called monounsaturated fats, are highly beneficial for several functions in the body- especially when it comes to producing healthy hormones. Hormones control every function in your body, including digestion. Eating foods that support hormonal health can help your body digest, absorb and utilize the nutrients from foods much more efficiently, and therefore improve digestive function altogether.
Insoluble Fibre Almonds contain insoluble fibre, which is needed by the body to “sweep” toxins and waste out of your digestive tract. This is one of the main reasons why organic almonds are typically considered a good “cleansing” food. There are two types of fibre: soluble fibre and insoluble fibre. While both are necessary for good health, their functions differ from one another. Soluble fibre “dissolves”, or is completely digested, whereas insoluble fibre moves through the intestines to help keep the digestive tract clean.
Magnesium Magnesium is the calming mineral, known for being able to soothe tired muscles. Since your digestive tract is one big muscle that works extremely hard (well, technically it’s several layers of smooth muscle tissue), magnesium can help promote better digestive function when things get “backed up” or a little crampy.
This almond milk digestive tonic also incorporates a few other ingredients known for promoting digestive health, such as turmeric, cinnamon and black pepper. Sipping on a warm mug of this turmeric almond milk is the perfect way to improve your digestion, while warming up from the inside out.
Warm Turmeric Almond Milk for Smooth Digestion
- 1 cup homemade almond milk (see method below)
- 3 cups filtered water
1/4 tsp Full Spectrum turmeric
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (can be substituted for coconut nectar, maple syrup or raw honey)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 twist of ground black pepper (helps with turmeric absorption)
1. Soak almonds overnight in filtered water. Drain and rinse.
2. Place almonds in blender with 3 cups of filtered water. Blend until almonds are thoroughly combined with water to form a milky consistency.
3. Strain almond milk with a cheesecloth or very fine strainer over a glass container to remove all extra pieces of almonds.
4. Place 1 cup of almond milk in a small saucepan over low to medium heat.
5. Add remaining ingredients, stirring occasionally until warm. Optional to froth with a milk frother, or simply drink as is.