Post Workout Plantain Protein Pancakes - Dairy Free, Grain Free, Paleo Friendly
As an athlete, you must properly replenish your body’s lost nutrients after a solid workout. Exercise is clearly needed for the maintenance of good health, but it doesn’t end there. What you eat after your workout is just as important. A good post-workout meal will contain protein to help build muscle (also known as protein synthesis) and carbohydrates to replenish glycogen stores. Electrolytes such as potassium, sodium and magnesium are lost through sweating, so you must be sure to restore those minerals as well.
Here is a delicious and satiating post-work out protein pancake recipe that contains a high amount of electrolytes (especially potassium) in addition to an adequate amount of protein and carbohydrates. Post Workout Plantain Protein Pancakes Plantains are an excellent grain alternative. They are similar to a banana but higher in starch and taste less sweet. The fact that they are slightly higher in calories and minerals allow them to be an ideal post-workout food. This recipe is fool-proof and full of amino acids. Rest assured, you will not be disappointed. Plantains also make pancakes that are easy to flip and stay together in one piece. Make them as obnoxiously large as your pan or as tiny and cute as you’d like. Ingredients
- 2 medium sized plantains
- 1 tbsp High Alpha Whey Protein
- 4 organic eggs
- juice of 1/2 lemon + grated lemon zest (zest is a fancy word for peel)
- 1/4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp cold pressed, unrefined coconut oil + extra for frying
- Heat your coconut oil in a pan no higher than medium heat (4-5).
- Place all ingredients into your food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture in to pan until blender is empty.
- Top with goji berries, walnuts, cashew butter, raw almonds, white chocolate nut butter, pure maple syrup or just plain coconut oil and cinnamon.