Easter weekend is shortly upon us and the sweet, sweet smell of chocolate fills the air. For the health-conscious and those on restrictive diets, this holiday can be particularly challenging as temptations are all around. Luckily, we have found the perfect Easter cake recipe that caters to all the major allergens and even contains a powerful antioxidant. Introducing the Chocolate Acai Ice Box Cake.
Two 16 oz bags Bob's red Mill Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix
4 Tbsp Gluten Free Egg Replacer (to equal 4 eggs) prepared according to manufacturer's instructions
1-1/3 cups full fat coconut milk
2/3 cup melted coconut oil
1-1/3 cups Boiling Water
2 pints Acai Berry Sorbet
3 cups Raw Macadamia Nuts or Raw Cashews, soaked in water overnight
3/4 cup Maple Syrup
1 cup Coconut Milk
4 tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp Salt
Bee Happy Acai Berry Powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- Place cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the prepared egg replacer (enough to equal 4 whole eggs), coconut milk, and coconut oil. Stir until well combined.
- Add boiling water and stir to mix. Divide batter equally between prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for at least 10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on wire racks. Remember to remove and discard parchment paper. Set aside an 8-inch springform or false-bottom pan.
- Place one cooled cake in the bottom of the reserved springform or false-bottom pan.
- To make the sorbet easier to spread, scoop the sorbet into a large mixing bowl and mix briefly until smooth. Using a chilled bowl is a good idea.
- Spread sorbet in an even layer over the cake in the pan, pressing down to make sure there are no empty pockets. Top with second cooled cake, pressing down to secure. Place assembled cake, still in the pan, into the freezer and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Drain all water from the macadamia nuts and place nuts in a high-powered blender or food processor. Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, lemon juice, and salt and process until very smooth, about 10 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the machine as often as necessary. This can become very thick and your machine may need an occasional break.
- When smooth, transfer to a clean container and chill until ready to use.
- Carefully unmold the cake by running a hot knife around the edges of the pan. Decorate with macadamia frosting and garnish with açai berry powder.
Happy Easter y'all!